Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Passing the Torch

We all expected Senator Edward M. Kennedy to die because of his virulent cancer. That's not a surprise. What is a surprise is how emotionally some of us reacted. To me, it's the end of an era and the knowledge that I belonged to a generation that truly involved themselves in the running of their country. I'm no longer the idealist I used to be, but I do know that the Kennedys believed in "service" as we did. None of them was perfect, but they believed in service and they served; they lost three brothers at an early age, in service to their country and the fourth who served a lifetime in the Senate with dignity and integrity. That's called "public service."

It is said that "to whom much is given, much is expected" (something like that).

The Kennedys fulfilled that promise and now that the first generation is mostly gone, I will be watching with much interest to see who emerges from the second.

Rest in Peace, Ted. You did your job well.

No comments:

Post a Comment