Saturday, August 11, 2012

Fareed Zakaria

Fareed Zakaria has been caught in an episode of plagiarism.  I am very saddened by this story and disappointed beyond words. Still, I hope that he is reinstated and allowed to continue his posts as Editor-at-Large for Time Magazine and host to GPS, a regular Sunday morning international news show on CNN.  

However;

I believe that apologies in a situation such as this, are meaningless,  because they occur only when one is caught; his apology is based in fear of losing what must have taken years to establish:  his professional credentials.  Being fired,  even temporarily, is not only embarrassing, but creatively and financially devastating.  Still it was the right thing to do, as I'm sure Fareed will agree.

The suspension is not just necessary but crucial,  because plagiarism should be anathema to any journalist of his stature with the academic background he posseses (a Phd from Harvard plus a long-standing academic association with Yale University).  But, I will miss the weekly international round-up of difficult to reach guests that few TV personalities are able to gather around them for in-depth conversations. There is no where else that you can get the kind of global coverage we see every week on GPS (except, of course, the incomparable Charlie Rose at his table on PBS).  For that reason, I am saddened.  I agree with the suspension, but I still feel he is the best on the air and will hope that CNN reinstates him in the next month or so, as TIME promises to do.

Perhaps, this is what comes from success, competition and deadlines.  But success is, as we all know, fleeting. Perhaps this is an opportunity for you, Fareed, to re-boot and re-think what you've achieved.  Be ambitious.  Be competitive.  But be also vigilant.  I am an admirer and this is my advice.   

No comments:

Post a Comment